The English as a Second Language Placement Exam (ESLPE):
- If your TOEFL or IELTS score is high enough to enter a certificate program but below 100 on the TOEFL or 7.0 on the IELTS, you are required to take the English as a Second Language Placement Exam (ESLPE) before you begin your program.**
- If your score is higher than 100 on the iBT or 7.0 on IELTS, you do not have to take the ESLPE. Or if your TOEFL or IELTS score was waived, you do not have to take the ESLPE (please note that if the TOEFL or IELTS is waived because you completed AIEP, Level 107 with grades of A- or higher, you are required to take the ESLPE).
- UCLA Extension English-language instructors will evaluate your exam to determine whether you need to take one or two additional 4-unit English courses or whether you are exempt from the requirement and do not have to enroll in any English courses.
Additional English courses based on your ESLPE performance
- If you place into one English course: You will enroll in Advanced English as a Second Language (X 433C) in the first quarter of your program. X 433C is a 4-unit course and you will need to take 2 more certificate program courses for at least 8 units, to meet the 12-unit per quarter minimum requirement.
- If you place into two English courses: You will enroll in High-Intermediate English as a Second Language (X 433B) in your first quarter and X 433C in your second quarter. You will need to take at least 8 units of certificate program courses each quarter to meet the 12-unit per quarter minimum.
Please note, enrollment in English courses as determined by your ESLPE results is mandatory. If you place into X 433C, you must enroll in that course during the first quarter of your certificate program. If you place into X 433B, you must enroll in that course in the first quarter of your program and then enroll in X 433C in the second quarter of your program. There are no exceptions. If you do not complete the required English courses with passing grades, you will not be awarded your certificate of completion and therefore you would not be eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
**PLEASE NOTE: Beginning in the Summer 2017 quarter, students will no longer take the ESLPE. Students will be placed into English language courses based on their TOEFL or IELTS scores:
TOEFL 83-90 or IELTS 6.5 with 6 or below in writing — ESL X 433B and ESL X 433C
TOEFL 91-99 or IELTS 6.5 with 6.5 or above in writing — ESL X 433C
Students who are admitted to their certificate program by completing Level 107 or higher in the AIEP program are required to take and pass both ESL X 433B and ESL X 433C
TOEFL 100 or above or IELTS 7 or above — no further English courses required