UCLA Extension


After finishing your ALC program, you can:

  • Remain in the United States for up to 60 days. You can travel anywhere in the U.S., but if you leave the U.S., you cannot re-enter.
  • Take an additional ALC program. You must submit a new application to ALC and enroll in the next session that is starting. You cannot take a break between sessions. Check your end date to find out if you need a new I-20.
  • Transfer to a UCLA Extension Certificate Program. You must submit an application to the ISO to receive a new I-20.
  • Transfer to another school. You will need to make an appointment with an ISO Advisor. You must show proof of acceptance from another school before you meet with the advisor.
  • Leave the U.S. You will need to make an appointment with an ISO Advisor for an exit interview before you leave. If your I-20 is not closed, you may have future difficulty when you apply for a new visa or try to enter the U.S.
Transfer Process–After ALC Program Completion
  • Deadline—To keep your F-1 status, you must finish the transfer process within 60 days of completing your ALC program.
  • Transfer Process—Well before the 60-day deadline, take the transfer forms or letter of acceptance from your new school to an International Student Office (ISO) advisor, who will verify your F-1 status and transfer your SEVIS record to the new school.
  • New I-20 Form—Your new school will issue a new I-20.
  • Program Start—You must begin your new program as soon as classes start at your new school.