UCLA Extension

Maintaining Your Visa

If you are studying in the United States on an F-1 student visa, you must follow specific rules and regulations to maintain your status. The responsibility for remaining in status at all times is yours alone. It is not the school’s responsibility, and it is not the responsibility of your International Student Advisor to keep you in status.

To maintain student status at UCLA Extension:
  1. Keep your passport and I-20 valid at all times.
  2. Maintain full-time enrollment and make satisfactory progress toward completing your program.
  3. Complete your English language requirement as required by your TOEFL or IELTS score submission.
  4. Purchase health insurance every quarter.
  5. Apply for an eligible extension I-20 before your current I-20 expires.
  6. Notify your advisor before you change your program.
  7. Notify your advisor before you travel outside the U.S.
  8. Accept no off-campus employment or internships without U.S. government permission.
  9. Notify your advisor before you transfer schools.
  10. Notify the International Student Office (ISO) within 10 days of a change in personal information: address, legal name, or dependent/spouse situation.
  11. Follow the laws and deadlines for program completion: leave, study, transfer, work.
  12. Leave the U.S. within 60 days of your last day of class or practical training period.

If you fail to comply, you may lose your student status, be declared unlawfully present, be required to leave immediately, and be barred from entering the U.S. for a period up to 10 years. Contact your International Student Advisor whenever you have questions.