UCLA Extension

Maintain Your Visa: American Language Center

If you are studying in the United States on an F-1 student visa, you must follow specific rules and regulations to maintain your status. The responsibility for remaining in status at all times is yours alone. It is not the school’s responsibility, and it is not the responsibility of your International Student Advisor to keep you in status.

To maintain student status at UCLA Extension ALC:
  1. Report to the ALC office upon arrival in the U.S. and complete ALC Biodata forms.
  2. Keep your passport and I-20 valid at all times.
  3. Maintain full-time enrollment and make satisfactory progress toward completing your program.
  4. Apply for an eligible extension I-20 before your current I-20 expires.
  5. Notify your advisor before you change your program.
  6. Notify your advisor before you travel outside the U.S.
  7. Accept no off-campus employment or internships without U.S. government permission.
  8. Notify your advisor before you transfer schools.
  9. Report to the ALC and the International Student Office (ISO) before leaving your program and the U.S.–avoid problems regarding transfers to other schools/programs and/or problems returning to the U.S.
  10. Follow the laws and deadlines for program completion: leave, study, transfer, work.
  11. Leave the U.S. within 60 days of your last day of class or practical training period.

If you fail to comply, you may lose your student status, be declared unlawfully present, be required to leave immediately, and be barred from entering the U.S. for a period up to 10 years. Contact your International Student Advisor whenever you have questions.