Enroll in IECP if you want to:
- Improve your English speaking and listening skills for personal or professional reasons.
- Gain confidence in your ability to communicate with native speakers.
- Emphasis on listening and speaking skills
- Interactive classroom activities – pair work, group work, panel discussions, and communication exercises. Video- and computer-based lessons
- Visits to sites outside the classroom to reinforce instruction
- Minimum Age: You must be 18 years of age on or before the start of IECP.
- Proficiency: Minimum English skills must be above the beginner level; with above basic vocabulary knowledge and above basic spoken communication skills.
- Student (F-1) Visa: If you are coming from another country to study in the Intensive English Communication Program (IECP), you will need a student (F-1) visa. Tourist (B-1/B-2) visas are not acceptable. For information on how to obtain the F-1 student visa, click here.
- 4-week or 12-week sessions; one 3-week session in early September
- Enroll 4, 8, or 12 weeks per quarter
- 20 class sessions weekly, each class 50 minutes
- 5 hours a day, usually 9am-3pm Monday-Thursday; 3-week session meets Monday-Friday.
- The IECP 12-week program (iTwelve) starts each 1st session of Fall, Winter and Spring quarters.iTwelve is a 12-week immersive English communication course. Students in this program study in the IECP program for a full quarter (12 weeks) and participate in many special engaging English language immersion lessons and activities, including attending a weekly afterschool class meting (3:15—4:45pm). Through these activities, students improve their English while building community, volunteering, mentoring new students, taking class field trips, and completing leadership tasks and presentations. This web-enhanced course gives students many opportunities to meet and speak with Americans, to use and improve their English in real world language situations. This allows students to participate in a learning environment that is comfortable, friendly, and stimulating. Students also share their experiences and complete tasks on their own iTwelve Community Facebook page. Several three-day weekends during the course allow students to use their English while exploring and traveling throughout California and beyond.IECP Summer11 is an 11-week Immersive English program offered only in the summer for students who want to study and use their English and enjoy long weekend trips and activities throughout California and beyond. Students also share their experiences and complete tasks on their own Summer11 Community Facebook page.
The program begins with a face to face speaking interview with an IECP teacher to evaluate each student’s English speaking and listening comprehension level. The interview results are combined with grammar and listening test scores to place students in one of three English skill levels: Intermediate Prep, Intermediate and Advanced.
(9am to 12pm)
- Integrated skills, variety of topics
- Class activities to build fluency and vocabulary
- Students in each level can choose two of the three following topics: Academic, Culture and Business:
|Discussion||Advertising||America Through Television|
|Grammar Focus||Business Communication||Media Studies|
|Idioms||Marketing||Pop Culture Discussion|
|Movie Class||World Business||Movie and Idioms|
|Survival English †|
† Intermediate Level Only
(1pm to 3pm)
- Instruction and skills practice–pronunciation, spoken grammar, listening comprehension, conversation and practical writing
- Choice of 1 of 5 courses–Spoken Communication, Written Communication, Discover L.A., Campus Explorer, or iBT TOEFL
|Afternoon IECP Courses||Descriptions|
|Spoken Communication Skills (All Levels)||Learn pronunciation strategies, use music and game-based pronunciation activities, use specific grammar forms to develop correct speaking habits and sharpen conversation skills. Each student will give a 3-5 minute presentation (speech) to their classmates about some interesting part of their personal life, business, family or culture. Consists of two afternoons of Pronunciation and two afternoons of Conversational Grammar.|
|Written Communication Skills (All Levels)||Improve your basic writing skills by studying and using accurate and correct writing styles, while focusing on the grammar used for everyday situations such as: writing notes, e-mail, formal letters, and essays. In the Reading & Listening class, students improve their connection between written and spoken English by reading aloud, listening, and analyzing various written materials. Spelling and phonetics are also covered in this class. Consists of two afternoons of Practical Writing and two afternoons of Reading & Listening.|
|Discover L.A. (All Levels)||Build a social networking website using blogs, photos, and video, including a narrated slide of your Los Angeles experiences. Includes studying about and visiting four locations: Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Venice Beach, and the Getty Center. Note: Additional $25 fee for professional tours.|
(High-Intermediate and Advanced levels only)
|In this four afternoons a week course, you will learn the new Internet based TOEFL test-taking procedures and strategies. You will increase your listening, reading and speaking skills, and learn techniques for understanding, summarizing, and explaining main ideas. This class is most useful for students planning to take the TOEFL test within a few months of program completion.|
(Intermediate and Advanced levels only)
|This is an online, in-the-field social networking class in which students improve their English communication while visiting the UCLA campus, studying, researching and learning about the history, people, landmarks, educational structure and culture of UCLA. Students will act as tour guides about interesting campus locations, interview students and officials. They can audit an on-campus UCLA class, attend a special seminar and campus events. This class will meet once a week in a computer lab and three times a week at various campus locations, with the students and teacher always staying in touch online.|
*Not all topics are offered every session
Dates and Fees
—Sofia Carneiro Mosquera, Spain (Intensive English Communication Program)