Requirements vary from program to program:
American Language Center (ALC) and Summer Discovery Programs:
- No language test scores required.
- Placement test given on first day of program.
- Your course placement is based on your English ability.
Custom-designed Programs for Groups:
- No specific English language requirement exists for custom-designed programs.
- Programs offered in English or in participants’ native language using an interpreter, if needed.
Online Programs and Courses: No specific language requirements or assessments exist for most programs and courses, unless online instruction is part of a custom-designed program. Course participants usually have sufficient English proficiency to succeed in their studies.
Certificate and Study Abroad Programs:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores required. Sign up for TOEFL at www.toefl.org using school code 4910-000. Sign up for the IELTS at www.IELTS.org. You can request that your IELTS score be sent directly to UCLA Extension.
- Score requirements range from 83-100 for the TOEFL and 6.5-7 for the IELTS. Please check the list of F1-eligible certificate programs for the TOEFL or IELTS score that is required for the program that you want to enroll in.
- If your score meets the published minimum, but falls below 100 on the TOEFL internet-based test (iBT) or below 7.0 on IELTS, you will be required to enroll in supplemental English courses in addition to your certificate program courses. The English courses you will be required to take are based on your TOEFL or IELTS score:
- Students who score 83-90 on TOEFL or 6.5 on IELTS with a score of 6 or below in the Writing section will have to take ESL X433B and ESL X433C
- Students who score 91-99 on TOEFL or 6.5 on IELTS with a score of 6.5 or higher in the Writing section will have to take ESL X433C
- Students who waive the TOEFL or IELTS requirement based on their ALC English course grades (see below) will have to take ESL X433B and ESL X433C
- Study Abroad Programs require TOEFL iBT scores of 100 and IELTS scores of 7.0.
- English scores must be from tests taken within the two years before program entry.
- We will only accept the English-proficiency document you submit at the time of enrollment. That will determine whether or not you will be required to take additional English courses alongside your certificate program courses. We will not accept English-proficiency submissions or consider those to waive the requirement to take English courses once you have already submitted a TOEFL or IELTS score.
Test Score Exemptions for Certificate and Study Abroad Programs: You are exempt from submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score if you meet at least one of the following conditions:
- You are from one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or English-speaking Canada.
- You have studied for a minimum of four years at a college or university located in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or English-speaking Canada. Please submit transcripts to show the four years of study.
- You have earned a graduate degree from a college or university located in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or English-speaking Canada. Please submit transcript showing the degree awarded.
- You complete AIEP, Level 107 with grades of A- or higher in the 2 core subjects. Please submit transcripts from the American Language Center showing the grades received (Please note that if you can waive the TOEFL or IELTS requirement because of your grades in the ALC program, you still are required to take both ESL X433B and ESL X433C)
If you wish to claim one of the above exemptions, please submit a completed and signed TOEFL Waiver form.
What if you don’t meet the English requirements? The American Language Center can help you obtain the skills you need.
- Step 1: Enroll in an American Language Center (ALC) full-time intensive English program.
- Step 2: Submit a copy of your certificate program application (without payment) to ALC, and request a Letter of Conditional Acceptance. The letter indicates that you can enroll in your certificate program when you have met the English requirement. Bring this letter with your other documents to your visa interview.
- Step 3: Complete Level 107 of the Academic Intensive English Program (AIEP) with a grade point average (GPA) of A- or higher, or retake the TOEFL or IELTS until you can achieve the required score for your program.