To become a certificate program candidate and to obtain a form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, complete the following steps:
- Create a student profile, apply to your certificate program, and pay the candidacy fee
- Navigate to the International Student Certificate Program Application and submit when all pages are complete
- Pay international student fees. You will be prompted to pay the $1,700 international student fee when you submit your completed application. You will pay the remaining international student fees via the links on the international student fee page.
- Send required documents to the International Student Office
After you have submitted your application, please email the following documents to email@example.com. Please include in the body of the email: 1) your student ID number, 2) your name as it appears in your passport, and 3) your selected certificate program. Without this information we will not be able to associate your submitted documents with your application. All required documents must be received by UCLA Extension before we can provide an I-20.
- A Financial Certification, such as a bank statement or bank letter, declaring you have a minimum of $26,300 USD, or equivalent, to cover your school and living expenses for a year. If you have dependents, please make sure the financial certification includes those amounts. If a sponsor is providing the money for you, please submit a brief, signed statement from them.
- A copy of your TOEFL score or IELTS score, less than two years old from the test date. If taking the TOEFL, select school code 4910 for the score to be sent directly to us. If you are requesting a waiver of the TOEFL or IELTS score, please submit supporting evidence and the completed TOEFL waiver form. Please note that beginning Summer 2017:
- We will only waive the TOEFL or IELTS score if you have studied for a minimum of four years in an academic institution located in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or English-speaking Canada, or if you have earned a master’s degree in one of the above-indicated countries.
- We will no longer waive the TOEFL or IELTS score if you have received your education in an English-medium school located in a non-English speaking country.
- Many TOEFL minimum requirements have changed. Please visit the list of F1-eligible programs for the minimum TOEFL requirement for your certificate program.
- A photocopy of the page in your passport showing your full legal name, birth date, passport expiration date, and photograph
- Official copy of high school or college transcripts. (An English copy must be included with foreign language transcripts.)
- One passport size photo
If you plan to transfer your I-20 to UCLA Extension from another school and you are already in the U.S. in F1 visa status, please also provide:
- A Status Verification Form completed by former school; copy of I-94, F1 Visa and I-20. Your I-20 must be transferred to UCLA Extension within 60 days of the last date of class attendance or your last day of OPT.
If you prefer, you can bring the documents in to the International Student Office, or mail them to:
10995 Le Conte Ave, Rm 118
Los Angeles, CA 90024
You will be able to track the status of your application in your student profile. When your application is complete, we will issue and send an I-20. It will take about two to three weeks for us to process and mail your I-20.
Application Due Dates
|Entry Quarter||Application Due Date for
New Students Outside of the U.S.
|Application Due Date for
Transfer Students with Current I-20
|Fall (September-December)||August 1||August 31|
|Winter (January-March)||November 1||November 30|
|Spring (March-June)||February 1||March 1|
|Summer (June-September)||May 1||May 31|