UCLA Extension

Apply for an I-20

To become a certificate program candidate and to obtain a form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, complete the following steps:

  • Create a student profile, apply to your certificate program, and pay the candidacy fee
  • Navigate to the International Student Certificate Program Application and submit when all pages are complete
  • Pay international student fees.  You will be prompted to pay the international student fee when you submit your completed application. You will pay the remaining international student fees via the links on the international student fee page. Please note that beginning April 1, 2018, the international student fee will be $2,000 for any quarter to which you are applying. If you pay on or before March 31, 2018, you will pay $1,700 for the international student fee. If you submit a partial application before April 1, but pay on or after April 1, you will pay the $2,000 fee.
  • Send required documents to the International Student Office

After you have submitted your application, please email the following documents to iso@uclaextension.edu.  Please include in the body of the email:  1) your student ID number, 2) your name as it appears in your passport, and 3) your selected certificate program.  Without this information we will not be able to associate your submitted documents with your application.  All required documents must be received by UCLA Extension before we can provide an I-20.

  1. A Financial Certification, such as a bank statement or bank letter, declaring you have a minimum of $26,300 USD, or equivalent, to cover your school and living expenses for a year. If you have dependents, please make sure the financial certification includes those amounts.  If a sponsor is providing the money for you, please submit Affidavit of Support from them and their bank statement or bank letter.
  2.  A copy of your TOEFL iBT score or Academic IELTS score, less than two years old from the test date.  If taking the TOEFL, select school code 4910 for the score to be sent directly to us.  If you are requesting a waiver of the TOEFL or IELTS score, please submit supporting evidence and the completed TOEFL/IELTS waiver form.  Please note that beginning Summer 2017 you will need to submit the following for review:
    • For criteria one, we would need to see a passport from one of those countries.
    • For criteria two we would need official transcripts showing at least four years of full-time academic study from a school located in one of the listed countries. (Note: ESL studies does not count as academic studies)
    • For criteria three we would need official transcripts showing completion of a graduate level degree (Master’s or higher) from a school located in one of the listed countries.
    • For the fourth criteria, we would need the UCLA Extension transcript showing completion of the AIEP level 107 course.
    • If you score less than 100 on the TOEFL iBT or less than 7.0 in the overall band score for the Academic IELTS, you may need to enroll ESL courses.  More information about this here.
  3. A photocopy of the page in your passport showing your full legal name, birth date, passport expiration date, and photograph
  4. Official copy of high school or college transcripts. An English copy must be included with foreign language transcripts. If you will mail it, please deliver it to: UCLA Extension – ISO, 10995 Le Conte Ave, Suite 118,  Los Angeles, CA 90024.  If your school provides official digital copies have them deliver it to iso@uclaextension.edu.
  5. One passport size photo

If you plan to transfer your I-20 to UCLA Extension from another school and you are already in the U.S. in F1 visa status, in addition to everything listed above, please also provide:

     6. A Status Verification Form completed by former school.

     7. Copy of your I-94 (access it here: i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/)

     8. Copy of your F1 Visa

     9. Copy of your recent I-20.

Your I-20 must be transferred to UCLA Extension within 60 days after the last date of class attendance or your last day of OPT.

If you prefer, you can bring the documents in to the International Student Office, or mail them to:

UCLA Extension
10995 Le Conte Ave, Rm 118
Los Angeles, CA 90024

You will be able to track the status of your application in your student profile.  When your application is complete, we will issue and send an I-20.  It will take about two to three weeks for us to process and mail your I-20.

Application Due Dates

Entry Quarter* Application Due Date for
New Students Outside of the U.S.
Application Due Date for
Transfer Students with Current I-20
Fall (September-December) August 1 August 31
Winter (January-March) November 1 November 30
Spring (March-June) February 1 March 1
Summer (June-September) May 1 May 31

*You can view the exact quarter dates on the UCLA Extension Academic Calendar website.