UCLA Extension

Academic Requirements: Certificate Programs

Required Units

Credit-bearing courses carry a unit value. You must enroll in at least 12 academic units in your program by the first day of each quarter to maintain your student visa status. At least 8 units must be in the classroom and no more than one online class.

We recommend you enroll early.  Many courses fill quickly and if you are unable to get into the required minimum of 12 units, you may jeopardize your F1 visa status. You can take advantage of the “early bird” discount if you enroll in the course at least 30 days before the start date.

Advanced Standing and Course Waivers

In your first quarter, you can petition to have required or elective courses waived if you have completed the coursework elsewhere. You must submit certified academic transcripts to your academic advisor. If a waiver is granted, you will be credited with units of advanced standing allowing you to finish your program sooner.

Required Grades — Grade Point Average (GPA)

For students beginning certificate programs in Summer 2016 or later, you must pass all required courses and maintain a minimum GPA as required by your certificate program.  The minimum GPA varies for each program.  Contact your certificate program advisor for the GPA you need to maintain in your program.

Earned F grades do not count toward your GPA so you must re-take any course in which you get a grade of F.  Your allotted time for study remains the same. So, you may have to skip a vacation quarter to complete your program on time and bring your GPA up to the required minimum.

Supplemental English Courses

For students beginning certificate program in Summer 2017 or later, you will be required to take supplemental English courses along with the certificate program courses if you did not get a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 100 or minimum IELTS overall band score of 7. You will be placed into the English courses according to the score your received:

  • TOEFL 83-90 or IELTS 6.5 with 6 or below in writing – ESL x433B and ESL x433C
  • TOEFL 91-99 or IELTS 6.5 with 6.5 or above in writing – ESL x433C
  • TOEFL 100 or above or IELTS 7 or above – No further English courses required
  • Students who are admitted to their certificate program by completing Level 107 or higher in the AIEP program are required to take and pass both ESL x433B and ESL x433C.

If you have to take ESL x433B and ESL x433C, you will enroll in these English course for two quarters. If you have to take ESL x433C, you have to take the English course for one quarter. Each of the English courses counts as four units toward your 12 units of courses each quarter required for you as an F-1 student. So you may enroll in one English course per quarter plus two certificate program courses. For further inquiry about supplemental English courses, you can contact American Language Center (ALC) at alc@uclaextension.edu.

Exceptions allowed to the 12- units-per-quarter requirement:
  • In your first quarter, if you experience academic difficulty with the English language or American teaching methods or improper course placement.
  • In any quarter, if you are ill or have a medical condition with written documentation from a doctor.
  • If you enroll in 16 units or more, you can take up to two 4-unit online classes.
  • In your final quarter, if you can complete your program with a reduced load, you won’t have to enroll in 12 units.