Created to help companies with employees who are non-native speakers of English, the UCLA Extension workplace English program:
- Provides on-site English language instruction designed to improve performance
- Helps companies strengthen the skills and confidence of their workforce
- Focuses on both written and verbal skills
- Helps employees communicate more effectively with co-workers and clients
- Enhances efficiency and customer service
Onsite Workplace Training for Groups. We bring instruction to your workplace in order to:
- Design custom programs to meet company needs, or
- Adapt an existing Extension course to offer at your site
- Schedule flexible training so it doesn’t interrupt workflow – for example, before or after work, between shifts, and at lunchtime
Executive Coaching: We also provideone-on-one executive coaching for non-native speakers of English who must communicate effectively in high-level positions. Instruction can include “shadowing” to determine where more coaching and instruction are needed to improve specific types of communication – sales presentations, negotiations, or conducting meetings, for example.
We have provided coaching for executives in such fields as pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, healthcare, hospitality, and financial services. Typical steps include:
- Initial assessment
- Identification of problem areas
- Scheduling a pre-determined number of training sessions
- Focused training and practice
- Scheduling follow-up training and/or establishing a self-study plan with the executive
For more information, please email us or call 310-825-9068 and ask about English training for the workplace.
We talked to all of the language training providers in town and UCLA Extension’s American Language Center was the only one that could develop a program specifically tailored to our employees and our workplace. The quality of instructors and the consulting we received was far beyond what we could get anywhere else.
—Peter Manternach, Manager of Human Resources, Magtek, Inc., Carson, CA