American Culture and Communication (ACC) Course
Part-time course, designed for participants 18 years or older who are in the United States for tourism, business, and/or visiting family. The course helps participants improve English skills while learning about American culture and life in Southern California. Topics include Pop Culture Discussion, American TV, Media Studies, Grammar, Movies Class, Idioms & Slang, Business English, Marketing and more. This course is for part-time study only and does not qualify for the F-1 student visa.
- Morning classes with three 50-minute sessions.
- Four weeks or three weeks in September.
- Minimum Age: You must be 18 years of age on or before the start of ACC
- Student (F-1) Visa: ACC does not offer F-1 student visa.
- Application: Apply in-person–ACC applications and fees must be paid in person at the ALC Administrative Office. No online ACC applications are accepted.
Dates & Fees
Note: All ACC applications must be submitted in person at the ALC Administrative Office. ACC applications will not be accepted by email or fax.
|Program Offering||Program Dates||Program Length||Student Services Fee||+ Program Fee||= Total Fee|
|Fall 2016 – A||September 26-October 20, 2016||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
|Fall 2016 – B||October 24-November 17, 2016||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
|Fall 2016 – C||November 21-December 15, 2016||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
|Winter 2017 – A||January 9 – February 2, 2017||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
|Winter 2017 – B||February 6 – March 2, 2017||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
|Winter 2017 – C||March 6 – March 30, 2017||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
|Spring 2017 – A||April 3 –April 27, 2017||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
|Spring 2017 – B||May 1 – May 26, 2017||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
|Spring 2017 – C||May 30 – June 22, 2017||4 weeks||$595||$1,630||$2,225|
Injury and Sickness Insurance:allows students to visit a hospital or clinic if medical attention is needed due to an injury or sickness (Please note: Insurance prices are subject to periodic increases, and permanent residents of the United States will not be eligible for this insurance.)Student Services Fee includes:
- Academic Advising: quarterly orientations regarding American universities, UCLA Extension certificate programs, and assistance with application procedures and forms
- Language/Computer Lab: up to 8 hours of extra, after-school access to state-of-art language practice, email, and the Internet
- Housing Details: information is provided for finding a place to live (Please note: UCLA on-campus housing is available for intensive programs in the summer only. Prices for 2015 summer on-campus housing have not yet been determined. Look for detailed summer housing information and pricing in early 2015.)
- Language Partners Program: opportunities to meet members of the local community and UCLA for conversation practice
- UCLA Recreation Facilities: access to many of UCLA’s outstanding sports and recreational facilities
- Certificate of Completion: an attractive certificate presented to participants upon completion of the program
I wanted to improve my English while visiting friends in L.A. When I look back at my experience here, it couldn’t have been better. In three words, I LOVED IT!
—Emma Lesant, Sweden (American Culture & Communication)