Your English Connection to the World
At UCLA Extension American Language Center (ALC), we understand that English language skills are essential for your academic and career advancement, as well as personal and social networking. ALC provides several types of English language training to speakers of other languages.
- Academic Intensive English Program (AIEP) – this full-time program focuses on reading, writing, grammar, and TOEFL iBT preparation
- Intensive English Communication Program (IECP) – this full-time program improves pronunciation, spoken grammar, and listening comprehension
- American Culture and Communication Course (ACC) – the course helps participants improve English skills while learning about American culture and life in Southern California. This part-time course is for those who are in the U.S. for tourism, business, and/or visiting family/friends.
- Pre-Master’s Preparation Program – this intensive program prepares international students for success in U.S. master’s, Ph.D., and professional programs.
- Business English Communication Program – offered in Tokyo, Japan, the program is designed for business professionals and advanced students of business who need to conduct international business using English.
Apply for the intensive English programs (AIEP and IECP) here.
Most ALC instructors have master’s degrees in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). Many of them have lived and worked in other countries, so they understand the challenges that students experience as they improve their English and adapt to life in the United States.
Because individuals have different learning styles, our instructional approach incorporates a variety of strategies and techniques. All ALC instructors and staff are committed to providing the highest level of customer service.
The ALC Academic Advisor assists students by providing information on U.S. colleges, universities, and other advanced study programs. He can provide guidance for transferring to UCLA Extension certificate programs or to other schools.
Each quarter, ALC students interested in further study at UCLA Extension are invited to group orientation sessions with guest speakers.
ALC also helps students address problems related to homesickness, culture shock, and adjusting to the U.S.
Why study at UCLA Extension ALC?
- Affiliation with University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), one of the world’s most prestigious universities
- High-quality English-language programs
- Highly trained and friendly instructors; helpful and supportive staff
- UCLA campus activities – fitness center, swimming pools, and tennis courts
- Studying with students from around the world
- Beautiful, safe location in Westwood Village
- Los Angeles theatres, museums, and shopping
- Exciting Southern California environment with nearby beaches, mountains, and desserts
I would recommend UCLA Extension ALC because it’s not only a good school, but is also well known and prestigious. Most teachers are very high-level professionals; the lessons are interesting and never boring. As a result, I greatly improved my knowledge of the English language, especially the grammar and vocabulary.
—Olga Marina, Kazakhstan (Academic Intensive English Program)